Re: [squid-users] problems running getpwname_auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:53:21 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Alexandre augusto wrote:

> I trying use a getpwname_auth auth method on my squid
> and it&#347; not working ( maybe is a ACL issue)

What pasword hashing and storage method is your system using?

getpwnam supports non-shadow style password files using crypt hash
format only.

Most systems today uses shadow storage (passwords only accessible as root)
and MD5 based hash format...

Quite likely you may get a higher chance of success using pam_auth
instead. But read the isntallation notes carefully.