RE: [squid-users] Squid slow shutdown

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:40:16 -0900

From squid.conf.default:

# TAG: shutdown_lifetime time-units
# When SIGTERM or SIGHUP is received, the cache is put into
# "shutdown pending" mode until all active sockets are closed.
# This value is the lifetime to set for all open descriptors
# during shutdown mode. Any active clients after this many
# seconds will receive a 'timeout' message.
#
#Default:
# shutdown_lifetime 30 seconds

Likely you have a process that is accessing a site through the cache. The cache, trying to be a good neighbor, is waiting for that access to finish before shutting down. After the shutdown_lifetime, it just closes the connection. Either make sure nothing is accessing the internet through Squid, or lower this value.

Then again, I could be completely off base.

Chris