[squid-users] Show auth dialog if automatic auth fails

From: Luis Fernando C. Talora <luis.talora@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:06:05 -0200

Fellows,

I´m running squid 2.5.STABLE9 on a Fedora 4 server, with ntlm auth against
Microsoft Active Directory, using pass-through authemtication. The problem
is that, if we have some visitor (i.e., someone who did not logon on the
Active Directory domain and/or whose machine is not a domain member) on my
network who tries to access the Internet, Squid simply shows the message
"Access denied.", giving no oportunity to the user to inform his
username/password.

I´d like, in that case, the user to be asked for a valid username and
password. In other words, if the pass-through auth fails, the browser would
show an logon dialog asking for user credencials. The auth config portion of
my squid.conf follows:

auth_param ntlm program /usr/lib/squid/ntlm_auth DOMAIN/domain_controller
auth_param ntlm children 5
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_reuses 0
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_lifetime 2 minutes
auth_param ntlm use_ntlm_negotiate off

Could anyone give me some advice on that?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Luis Talora