Re: [squid-users] httpReadReply: Request not yet fully sent / POST problems?

From: Jason Healy <jhealy+squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:21:49 -0500

At 1133813601s since epoch (12/05/05 09:13:21 -0500 UTC), Mark Elsen wrote:
> > I have users that are complaining of failed uploads, mostly to picture
> > sites (ofoto, shutterfly, snapfish), but also to other sites
> > (facebook.com, myspace, etc). Checking the cache logs, the only
> > suspicious activity are lines that look like this:
> >
> > (example of a Costco-branded snapfish upload)
> >
> > 2005/12/02 14:09:43| httpReadReply: Request not yet fully sent "POST
> > http://64.147.178.206/uploadimagebasic.suup?authcode=<snip>&
> > HOST_NAME=http://www.costcophotocenter.com"
> >

> Transparant proxy setups may leed to your squid host deciding
> (or getting confused w.r.t.)
> incorrect PMTU value(s).
>
> Does it work when the user is set to use the proxy directly,
> by using proxy settings in the browser ?

Excellent call; that does fix the issue! If you don't mind my asking,
where should I begin looking to correct this issue?

The firewall/router that's doing the redirection is an OpenBSD box
running pf, and the squid box is Debian Stable with ip forwarding
turned on to allow the transparent proxying (net.ipv4.ip_forward=1).

I notice that Squid 3 has a setting to address this issue, and it
seems to pertain to my setup (squid is not handling connection
tracking; the oBSD box is). I'd prefer to stick with a stable
release; is there any corrective action for this under 2.5 (such as
disabling PMTU on the proxy machine entirely)?

Thanks,

Jason

--
Jason Healy