[squid-users] Squid problem with Akamai servers?

From: Brett Glass <squid-users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:06:55 -0700

Everyone:

Just today, I noticed that a transparent Squid proxy running on
FreeBSD 4.11 was really bogging down its Internet connection. So, I
ran the "netstat" command, and discovered that the cache had huge
numbers of open sockets (more than 100) to Port 80 on the Akamai
server at our upstream provider. Any client sockets (that is,
sockets from the clients to the proxy) that might have been
associated with the transactions had all closed, but the sockets
from the proxy to the Akamai server were in the "ESTABLISHED"
state. The send queues on the sockets all seemed to contain about
50K bytes of data and were VERY slowly getting smaller.

What's the likely cause of this? And why are all of the perpetually
open sockets all to Akamai servers? Is anyone else out there seeing
this behavior? I'm worried that there is some sort of adverse
interaction going on between Squid and Akamai.

--Brett Glass