Re: [squid-users] Problem with WebSites that require authentication through Squid Proxy

From: Serassio Guido <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 10:41:48 +0100

Hi,

At 04.16 08/12/2005, Ing. Arturo Gomez Rojo wrote:

>Hi Squid Gurus!!
>
>I have a little issue. Exists a website that require authentication. When I
>try to connect to that website I don't see the window to put my credentials.
>If I un-configure proxy settings on my browser, and try to connect to that
>website I can see the window to put my credentials.
>
>To understand me what happened exactly, please try to get at
>http://148.223.140.117/ with squid proxy and without it.
>
>I hope somebody have seen this problem, and give me an idea to resolve this
>issue.

This is a very recurrent problem: the site is using NTLM (Windows
integrated) authentication.
That authentication system is DEPRECATED by Microsoft for Internet
usage, because its usage with proxy is insecure by design:
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2005-July/035291.html

For this reason, current Squid version BY DESIGN don't proxy NTLM
authentication requests coming from the original web site.

So the best option should be to contact the site administrator and
ask him to user a saner authentication system, usually Basic + SSL.

Regards

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/