Re: [squid-users] blacklists

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:02:31 +0100

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 21:22, Rick G. Kilgore wrote:
> I have finally got my hands around some basic ACL's. Would like to use
> some blacklists if they work ok. Do I really need to load squidgaurd to
> use the blacklists properly/avoid performance issues?

SquidGuard is said to be faster when you use a large number of patterns.
A few thousand url_regex ACL entries in Squid will slow things down a bit.
But there are other ACL types like 'dstdomain' which speed up things
even if used directly in Squid.

And good luck filtering on blacklists. IIRC a few thousand domains
are registered every day. You will have to add a lot of blacklist
entries regularly. ;)

> Would like to see some nested ACL's is any body has time to help a
> little on that as well

Just ask. If you want to learn how to combine ACLs generally, read
http://workaround.org/moin/HowSquidAclsWork

Merry caching...

 Christoph

--