[squid-users] FW: IE not using the proxy

From: Dave Beach <drbeach@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:58:08 -0500

Hi list!

I've just subscribed, having done a couple of days of research trying to
figure out my problem. It's probable that this is not so much a Squid
problem as an IE one, in which case I'd be happy to be re-directed to a
different possible answer source.

I have a WinXP desktop at 192.168.2.98, a Linux/Squid proxy at 192.168.2.2,
and a Linux/iptables firewall at 192.168.2.1.

The firewall is configured to deny connections other than from the proxy,
and the network clients have their IE configured to use the proxy for
outbound HTTP. Everything works great, and has for years.

When debugging a Bittorrent problem, I have happened to notice that the XP
box is sending port 80 traffic directly to the firewall, where it is being
dropped (as it should). This only seems to happen with Bittorrent, as the
rest of the time web browsing from the XP box seems to correctly use the
proxy.

Any idea how/why this might be happening? Any other information that I could
provide that might be useful?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.