Re: [squid-users] Weird problem with Freebsd 6.0+Squid 2.5 Stable12+routers

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:46:20 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, H wrote:

> anyway I think that aufs-pthread-aio in squid is confusing when talking
> freeBSD and not so very well documented

aufs does not use aio. It's only the coss driver which uses aio.

> BTW I believe pthreads are not so good on FreeBSD at all and work different as
> on Linux

It is rumored pthreads on FreeBSD 5 should work fine for aufs, but I have
not verified this.

aufs requires a pthreads implementation using kernel threads, allowing
multiple threads to be waiting for disk I/O to complete. It does not work
with user level threads where the whole process gets blocked if one thread
is blocked by disk I/O.

> strange also, remembering on FreeBSD without posix-aio loaded, that even
> if
>
> configure --enable-storeio=diskd,aufs,null --with-aio
>
> gives an error but completes and make goes through, I never tried to run it
> then

Which error is seen?