Re: [squid-users] Weird problem with Freebsd 6.0+Squid 2.5 Stable12+routers

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:45:45 +0100

On 13.01 18:16, H wrote:
> do not know that either but long time I didn't tried this since diskd is
> giving me an excellent performance

aufs fhould give better, without need for tuning shmem segments...

> > aufs requires a pthreads implementation using kernel threads, allowing
> > multiple threads to be waiting for disk I/O to complete. It does not
> > work with user level threads where the whole process gets blocked if one
> > thread is blocked by disk I/O.

> that would be than the reason why Edinilson's squid stops working after
> some time when compiling with-pthreads
>
> I tried once with gnu-pthreads and some tweak but the performance wasn't
> good and I had no time so I left pthreads

the problem on FreeBSD 4 was that even if kernel did support threads, libc
did not. linuxthreads on FreeBSD 4 did support kernel-space threads, but not
posix threads from libc.

This problem does not apply to FreeBSD 5

Posli tento mail 100 svojim znamim - nech vidia aky si idiot
Send this email to 100 your friends - let them see what an idiot you are