RE: [squid-users] Simple command for purging entire cache?

From: Bob Morrison <rmorris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:09:45 -0500

Morten

Assuming your cache directories are in the directory /var/squid/cache and
you're running a UNIX/LINUX system, the command "rm -rf /var/squid/cache/ &"
will work just fine. But before restarting squid, you must recreate the
cache directories with the command squid -z.

I automate the process by using the following commands in a script:
#Stop squid services
/etc/opt/squid/sbin/squid -k shutdown
#Wait 30 seconds for all squid processes to stop
sleep 30
#Change to squid cache directory
cd /squidcache
#Remove squid cache
rm -rf *
#Recreate squid cache directories
/etc/opt/squid/sbin/squid -z
#Restart squid
/etc/opt/squid/sbin/squid -s -f /etc/opt/squid/etc/squid.conf

You'll have to modify this script to fit your particular installation.

Hope this helps

Bob Morrison
Network Administrator
Wallingford CT Public Schools USA