Re: [squid-users] Squid & content filter

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:25:36 +0100

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 11:12, Guillaume wrote:
> I would like to know if there is a plugin for squid or an parameter in
> squid.conf to have the ability to filter word that are forbidden...
> Ex: sex, porn, etc...

You can filter those words on URLs using "url_regex" ACLs. However that's
pretty useless (although frequently attempted).

Since Squid cares little about the object's body (the real content) of an
object you would need either an ICAP-capable content filter and the ICAP
patch for Squid. Or you use another redirecting/filtering proxy in a
chain. SquidGuard seems to be a choice for many.

Conclusion #1: Squid IMHO currently doesn't contain much in regard to
content filtering.

Conclusion #2: If you are serious about filtering consider throwing money
at commercial content filters and use them in a chain.

Kindly
 Christoph

--
Never trust a system administrator who wears a tie and suit.