[squid-users] Forward HTTPS requests using squid.conf

From: Kenrick <matrix2323@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:37:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

My current setup of proxy server is using MS ISA2000
Server. I'm planning to replace my MS ISA server with
a Squid Proxy Server. Users who have internet access
does not have to configure their proxy settings in
Internet Explorer, they just have to configure their
default gateway pointing to the ISA server. The ISA
server has the permission to go to the internet by the
firewall. Users can access http, https, ftp without
any problem. The ISA server has only one network
card.

Prior to the replacement of ISA server, Squid server
is configured as a transparent proxy. But further
research shows that HTTPS cannot be proxied
transparently. Only HTTP is allowed. With
transparent proxy, I dont have any problem with HTTP.

I want to maintain the same configuration of users not
entering the proxy server IP address in the Internet
Explorer settings. What would be the best solution
for allowing (HTTPS, FTP and other) requests without
configuring IE settings? The firewall, proxy and the
users are all in the same network segment (i.e
192.168.1.0/24). Assuming that I will be using
transparent proxy, how can I forward all requests
except HTTP to the firewall using squid.conf?

Thanks.

Regards,

Kenrick