Re: [squid-users] Automatic Sign-On for Squid Users

From: Jon Banks <jjbanks@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:50:47 -0500

But don't you have to be running a Microsoft network to make this work? Our back end is Novell and eDirectory, and user accounts on the MS PCs sometimes are generic compared to their Novell User IDs.

I'm working on one day having a Samba back end on a Linux platform, though.

Jon

>>> Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@gmail.com> 1/18/2006 3:45 PM >>>

> We are using basic authentication (via LDAP to a Novell eDirectory Database) for Squid which requires users to manually enter their Novell ID and password before they can access the Internet.
>
> Is there a way to automatically log a user into Squid so that they don't have to enter their ID and password manually? In Novell BorderManager, there was a program called Client Trust that ran TSR on the user's PC (it was loaded via the user's login script when they first logged into Novell). This program sent the user's credentials to BorderManger so that the user didn't have to type anything in when they went to the Internet.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a similar program or functionality for Squid?
>
> Thanks

The NTLM authentication scheme provides this functionality.

M.