RE: [squid-users] ntlm_auth again... :(

From: Geoff Varney <geoff.varney@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:06:26 -0800

I can't remember for sure what happened when I tried the ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic test, but I do know that I've seen 2
things cause a popup authentication window that still fails when proper
credentials are entered:

1. Netlogon service not running on AD server (unlikely, but it happened to
me recently)

2. You have not provided Squid permission to the winbindd privileged pipe.

For the latter, in my case:

chown root:squid /var/cache/samba/winbindd_privileged
chmod 750 /var/cache/samba/winbindd_privileged

did the trick. As soon as I performed this forgotten step, authentication
worked.

Geoff