Re: [squid-users] Squid with SquidGuard

From: Mark Sansome <msansome@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:21:56 +0000

Mark Elsen wrote:

>>I haven't tried restarting yet - but given that "ping localhost" works
>>with the firewall(s) in place do you still think that this is my problem?
>>

> It could still be, so the restarting with all Firewalling off should
>still be tried.

Well I've just tried it with Iptables/Firestarter turned off + cold
restart - and still the same thing. I can't work out what to do with my
wireless router firewall (to be honest firewalls are a bit of a "black
art" as far as I am concerned) but all references to LAN are
192.168.123.xxx as far as I can see.

>>I still think that the "Permission denied" message is caused by file
>>ownership problems - but where?
>>

> There shouldn't be if SquidGuard runs under the same user as squid
>(defined in squid.conf).
> Btw, do you start SQUID as root ?
> Even if no privileged port is used for http-receiving, I would still
>start as root. I am
> not sure whether this inter process communication , which goes via
> the loopback interface , may need root privilege to create the socket.
>
> I am not sure about that.
>
> M.

Both cache_effective_user and cache_effective_group in squid.conf are
set to "squid". Every file I can think of that is even remotely
connected with squidGuard is set to chown squid.squid.

Squid is started automatically in runlevel 5. If I start it myself I use
the command:
/sbin/service squid start (or stop, or restart)
as root.

Any ideas?