RE: [squid-users] squid 2 redirects but does not cache

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:44:47 -0900

Restarting the proxy will not clear out the cache. Restarting the webserver will not change the content. No CREATE actions will occur without new (non-cached) objects.

> > WAPOUT means that the object was in memory
> > and was written to disk. SWAPIN is just the opposite. I think I
> > remember reading that there is a problem with the 2.5
> > branch of Squid
> > which prevents it from performing a SWAPIN (which isn't as big a
> > problem as it sounds. Most operating systems cache file accesses to
> > memory), but I might be mistaken. Watch the unfiltered access log.
> > You should see some TCP_HITs and TCP_MEM_HITs. As for the poor
> > performance, have you had a look at
> > http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/optimizing-plone/?
> > The page at
> >
> > http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/optimizing-plone/what-to-cache
> > seems to have some hints at making plone play well with caches.
> >

> Ok I got it.
>
> Regarding plone configuration, I just follow limi's
> recommandation. The
> fact is in his example he received :Requests per second:
> 864.07 [#/sec]
> (mean)
> I do receive
> Requests per second: 3 [#/sec] (mean)
>
> Basically, "pure" plone without *any* cahcing policy is meant
> to response
> to 0,7 request per sec.
> Using wisely RamCache and HttpCache plone product raise it to
> 3 request
> per sec. (it's so ok for a single use accessing the website to see it
> being fast).
> Now it needs scalability (reverse proxy) to be able to
> maintain service
> under loads.
> I do think squid will change this rate significantly. (in fact with or
> without, i don't gain any digits).
>
> Making tail -f on access.log,
>
> If I launch apache benchmark on one side, and tail -f
> access.log the other
> side, I *only* have those lines:1138052704.779 401 161.3.50.16
> TCP_MISS/20024213 GET
> http://161.3.50.16:81/VirtualHostBase/http/ist-guizay.univ-st-
> etienne.fr:80/VirtualHostRoot/Portail- DIRECT/161.3.50.16
> text/html1138052705.231 450 161.3.50.16
> TCP_MISS/200 24213
> GEThttp://161.3.50.16:81/VirtualHostBase/http/ist-guizay.univ-
> st-etienne.fr:80/VirtualHostRoot/Portail- DIRECT/161.3.50.16
> text/html1138052705.560 327 161.3.50.16

SNIP

> As if it only tries to match against cache only for text/html and not
> images etc. ...

Well, one thing I am seeing is...

GET /Portail HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:27:29 GMT
Expires: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 00:00:00 GMT

...the main Plone page is serving expired content. Figure out why that is, and I'm sure your benchmark results will rise.

Chris