Re: [squid-users] squid stopped responding if internet link is congested

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:32:39 +0100

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 18:24 +0100, lokesh.khanna@accelonafrica.com
wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using REDHAT ES 3.0 and running squid 2.5.10 stable on it.
> I have 2 internet Links. One Link is fibre ( Primary) and other is
> Satellite link(Failover).
> Failover link capacity is not much and if Primary goes down, all traffic
> get shifted to Failover link. And Failover link get congested.
>
> I noticed when my Primary link goes down, traffic get shifted to
> Congested link. Squid open URL slowly, This make sense because link is
> congested.
> But I also noticed when my primary link comes back up, traffic get
> shifted to primary link automatically and squid daemon stopped
> responding.

This is strange. Squid doesn't define where traffic gets routed to, it's
a task for the operating system... in such occurrences, can you
determine what squid is doing (for instance by attaching to the process
via "strace -p <pid>")?

> I couldn't even shutdown squid daemon manually. I can ping to internet
> from squid server but I can not browse through squid. I have to restart
> server to start squid again. What can be the reason of this? Where
> should I look into to resolve this problem.

Have you tried kill? kill -9? If neither works it means that the OS has
put squid in an unstoppable state, which is pretty weird and usually
only happens in case of NFS timeouts...

        Kinkie