Re: [squid-users] How to log users using ssh connection?

From: Erik Johansson <erjohan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:00:49 +0100

On 1/27/06, spcatch55 <spcatch55@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am running squid Version 2.5 and have multiple users
> accessing squid via an ssh tunnelled connection.
>
> Each user is using a distinct ssh login account, so
> how can I differentiate which user is associated with
> each entry in the access logs? All log entries show
> 127.0.0.1 regardless of the user.

The eigth column [of the log file] may contain the ident lookups for
the requesting client. Since ident lookups have performance impact,
the default configuration turns ident_loookups off. If turned off, or
no ident information is available, a ``-'' will be logged.

config:
# acl ident_aware_hosts src 127.0.0.1/255.0.0.0
ident_lookup_access allow localhost

then you need to enable an ident service for your computer I would
recommend that you only bind the ident daemon to the looback
interface.

--
/Erik