RE: [squid-users] Squid sizing for url filtering and lots of users

From: Lux <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:48:56 +0100

> - The amount of storage needed, should roughly equal the total amount
> off traffic generated by this community for one week.
> This also puts a requirement on the needed phys mem. the box
> should have (see FAQ).

It's reading the FAQ that I supposed that in the worst case I need 400
gigabytes of cache storage, and (about) 10 gigabyte of phys. mem. On the
physical memory, I'm not so sure, because in the FAQ I read about 10 MB for
every GB of disk cache storage, plus what is needed for cache_mem, plus tha
RAM used by the OS to cache disk IO. From other sources I read 32MB per GB
of disk storage. I don't want to underestimate the need for physical RAM, so
I'm taking the "worst" case. I just don't know, and consequently I wonder,
if Linux+Squid scales well to this amount of RAM and disk.

> - On average usage 12.000 users could lead to a 300reqs/sec range , on
> average, which is rather high-end.
> I would advise a low-end server with highest cpu-Ghz available.
> In that case I would probably use 2 , with load balancing.

Do you think that LVS would be a good choice for load balancing?
And the servers (which can also be more than 2, if it is advisable) should
form a cache array? This should give 2 benefits: if a client requests an
object that is in the other server's cache, it is retrieved from there and
not from the Internet; and the amount of cache storage should be reduced by
roughly a factor of 2.

Thank you for your answer.