[squid-users] Performance problem via Parent Proxy

From: Minh Trieu <minh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:28:46 +1100

Router1 (Running Fedora Core 1)
Acting as a proxy server
squid-2.5.STABLE3-2.fc1

Router2 (Running Debian 3.1)
Acting as a parent proxy server
squid 2.5.9-10sarge2
squid-common 2.5.9-10sarge2

[Router1] --(2Mbps/384Kbps WAN)--> [Router2] --(3Mbps/3Mbps)--> Internet

Router1 internet access is via Router2, if I have squid running on
router1 and have no cache-peers setup, webbrowsing is fairly fast. I get
around 20-40k/s downloading a 70MB mpg file from a remote server. If I
set a cache peer on router1 to go via a parent proxy on router2, web
browsing seems very slow. I can only get 4k/s downloading the same 70MB
files. This is tested after hours when the link is lightly used.

Any ideas why I might be suffering such poor performance problems going
through a parent proxy? The cpu load on router2 seems fairly low as well
as disk IO according to cachemgr.cgi

Cheers,
Minh