Re: AW: [squid-users] Re: URL's that begins with a minus

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:48:04 +0000

Hi,

        please don't top post. Answer below...

Werner.Rost@zf.com wrote:
>>> Come on, some of you must know the solution to this one.

> What does
>
> nslookup http://-kol.deviantart.com/
>
> tell you?

It fails miserably as the DNS doesn't know anything about URLs.
Removing the superfuous characters also fails - nslookup treats the
parameter as an option as it begins with a '-'.

RFC952 'DoD Internet host table specification' and RFC1101 'DNS encoding
of network names and other types' both state:

> The current syntax for network names, as defined by [RFC 952] is an
> alphanumeric string of up to 24 characters, which begins with an
> alpha, and may include "." and "-" except as first and last
> characters.

So you therefore _cannot_ start a host / domain name with a hyphen -
inform the provider of this service that they need to adhere to the
standards, after all that's what they're there for.

HTH,

                                Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk