Re: [squid-users] ntlm auth, unauthorized users without popup window

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:15:53 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, [iso-8859-2] Horváth Szabolcs wrote:

> I've successfully configured squid to use ntlm authentication. If the authenticated users go through the proxy, the web page will be loaded.
> In the opposite side, if any unauthorized users want to browse, popup window appears (username, password).
>
> I know is the default behaviour. Is there any chance to not to popup authentication window in this case?

Unfortunately not.

The proxy can not tell if the user is authenticated or not before.. when
the browser figures out that the proxy is requring authentication it pops
up that popup, to the proxy the only difference to an already
authenticated user is the delay in response from the browser while the
user fills in the popup..

What you can control in the proxy is if a user which is denied access
should be prompted anew for other user credentials allowing him to log in
to the proxy with an account having the required permissions, or if he
should immediately be given an access denied page.