Re: [squid-users] Automatic restart squid when response time is too large

From: Joost de Heer <sanguis@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:53:57 +0100

> - Memory shortage. Montior with vmstat/sar.

2GB memory, Squid takes up 700MB. It's the only thing running on the machine.

> - I/O bottleneck. Monitor with vmstat/iostat/sar.

Cache hits are fast as usual, it's just cache misses and cache near misses
that go kablooey. If there was an IO bottleneck, wouldn't cache hits be
affected too?

> - Overload. Monitor CPU usage with vmstat/iostat/sar, and
> filedescriptor usage in Squid using snmp polling. Also keep an eye on
> cache.log.

No fd shortage whatsoever, happens when there's only 2500 fd's in use (with a
maximum of 8192, I occasionally get spikes to about 5000, that's why it can't
be much lower than 8192)

I decided not to automatically restart (which could result in all kinds of
risks), but to send a mail when the median response time in the last 5 mins is
larger than 0.35 seconds, or the fd count is larger than 6000.

Joost

--
Du hast mein Herz zerrissen, meine Seele geraubt
Das es so enden würde hätt` ich nie geglaubt              [Aus der Ruinen -]