Re: [squid-users] authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:06:51 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Kinkie wrote:

>>> http://squidwiki.kinkie.it/SquidFaq/ProxyAuthentication
>>>
>>> Kinkie
>>>

>> is this still true?
>>
>> WARNING: proxy_auth can't be used in a transparent proxy
>
> Yes. It's a feature of the browsers.

But note that it only applies to transparently intercepted port 80
traffic.

It is possible to use authentication in reverse proxies/accelerators where
the proxy is infront of your own web servers as the proxy is then
officially the web server (with the web server being only the storage
method..). But not if the web servers also require HTTP authentication and
uses a different password..