Re: [squid-users] Squid Efficiency - What else to tweak?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:31:02 +0100

On 21.02 12:33, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> I've got a squid cache running as transparent proxy on an _very_ old
> machine.
>
> P 133 Mhz
> 128MB Ram
> 20GB Hard Disk
> 1GB Cache in aufs
> Fedora Core 3
>
> Here are the stats reported by calamaris 2.99
> Total amount: requests 10471
> Total amount cached: requests 1330
> Request hit rate: % 12.70
> Total Bandwidth: Byte 107M
> Bandwidth savings: Byte 1767K
> Bandwidth savings in Percent (Byte hit rate): % 1.62
> Proxy efficiency (HIT [kB/sec] / DIRECT [kB/sec]): factor 0.77
> Average speed increase: % -0.49
>
> Suffice to say, I'm pretty dismayed by it's performance. (granted that
> the hardware is substandard.)
>
> Besides the hardware, what else could be done to up the speed? (for one
> thing, this little "crap" PC has very slow disk transfer rate.

mount the filesystem as noatime. perhaps use faster FS like reisersfs
(with the notail option) if you don't already.

try to tune kernel to use the right IDE driver, it may speed up disk
transfers a bit.

and I hope you are using full-duplex on your network.

10 GOTO 10 : REM (C) Bill Gates 1998, All Rights Reserved!