[squid-users] proxy_auth question

From: Jamie Heckford <jamie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:51:07 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to have users authenticate with our proxy but only for the
purpose of logging their username to keep an eye on web access.

My setup at the moment I have:

SQUID (Non-caching and Authentication) -> Dansguardian -> SQUID (Full
Caching)

All on the same box. Authentication works perfectly and both squids are
behaving as they should.

Now I want to divert *all* our http requests through the squid box on
the network, so I only want it to authenticate if it suceeds, if that
makes sense. Ie. a bad/no user/pass will go through fine as well, but if
they have an account on our domain controller the username gets tagged
into the logs.

If I remove the line:

acl authenticated proxy_auth REQUIRED

Everyone is allowed through, and no usernames get logged even for valid
users.

With this line intact only people who authenticate are allowed through,
and the names are logged. I have tried some ACL kung-fu but can't quite
seem to get it right.

Any suggestions on how to achieve what I need??

Thanks in advance

--
Jamie Heckford
Network Manager