Re: [squid-users] Solutions for transparent + proxy_auth?

From: Steve Brown <sbrown25@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:51:01 -0600

> How is there "authentication" without credentials? I have misunderstood
> your setup. What are you referring to when you say "authentication" because
> the knee-jerk reaction is to assume a username and password is
> authenticating...

Yes there is a user/pass. Everyone is saying that the broswer
shouldn't indiscriminately provide crednetials, which I agree with.
However, in the setup I am proposing, the browser isn't submitting
credentials. The traffic is intercepted by a local proxy, which does
*not* have authentication and only responds to localhost traffic. The
local proxy then queries the parent cache with the u/p provided by the
login parameter in the cache_peer config option. So the
authentication is there, it just doesn't require any user interaction.