[squid-users] Squid Performance Problem

From: Mohamed Naji <mhdnaji@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:31:25 +0200

'm working for an ISP company and I'm using squid as a cache engine
for the first time.
when a dial-up user downloads a cached file originally form a local
server, the download rate is 10 kbps, but if the origin server is
anywhere else on the Internet the download rate of a previously cached
file will be reduced to 5 kbps or even less. (in both cases squid
indicates a successful TCP_HIT).
I've tested that several times on different files from different
sites. and I'm getting always the same results. I've tried to test it
in both online and offline modes. and nothing has changed (except that
squid logs the hits as TCP_OFFLINE_HIT/200 instead of TCP_HIT/200)

Why the two files are not downloaded with the same rate, keeping in
mind that they are both cached and served from the same proxy/cache
server (squid)?
Can anyone help me to solve it?