RE: [squid-users] low squid performance?

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:57:08 -0900

The answer to that question is dependant on a whole host of variables, such as ACLs used, whether it's a proxy or an accelerator, the types of clients accessing it (client latency has a dramatic effect on CPU usage), types of content retrieved, how your cache_dirs are defined, etc.

Various things that can reduce Squid performance:

* regex based ACLs
* High latency clients
* blocking cache_dir configuration (e.g. using "ufs" instead of "aufs" or "diskd")
* Anti-virus scanning
* Slow authentication back ends

If none of these issues covers your problem, you might look into "experimental" solutions such as the epoll patch (http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html#epoll).

Chris