Re: [squid-users] Solutions for transparent + proxy_auth?

From: Steve Brown <sbrown25@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:01:44 -0600

> I think educating users (yes, there are 2 different passwords) would be most
> effective.

Believe me, I wish I could. But these are sales people, and as I
said, some of them aren't very bright.

> 1. give users the same password for mail and proxy and probably fetch them
> from the same source like LDAP (Win2000 Domain).

Thought about that, but I won't want to have to maintain it. Its a hassle.

> 2. give users SeaMonkey for both browsing and mail, set it up to remember
> passwords, fill it with proxy and mail password, give users only the master
> password.

Multiple users may use the same computer. We don't want them reading
each others email, number one, and number two, they would wind up
giving out someone else's email address as their own. Like I said,
not very bright.

> 3. set up FF (and probably M$IE too) to use proxy on localhost - this way
> you will avoid interception and its problems and still give users benefit of
> local proxy server.

I posted earlier about my this won't work. Firefox is too easy to get
around on OSX.

> I recommend using encrypted connections to protect your passwords, so you
> might need SSL patch to squid: http://devel.squid-cache.org/ssl/, at least
> for 1. and 3.

Thanks, this was going to be my next question. ;-)