Re: [squid-users] Squid Efficiency - What else to tweak?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:17:13 +0100

On 28.02 15:37, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Not an option unfortunately
>
> > I haven't seen his cache_mem
>
> cache_mem used to be at 32MB (because I wantted to save on Bandwidth,
> but I've since lowered it down to 4MB default due to me now wanting
> more speed increase instead

lower cache_mem means more disk cache to your OS. However bigger cache_mem
means more memory hits, which might speed up the machine.

> > and memory usage, but maybe using more than one GB for disk cache would
> > help a bit without machine starting to swap...
>
> The rest are really default values. I didn't change anything else

try using more disk space

> > But as long as the question was what to do "besides the hardware"...
> >
> > Also: What replacement policy do you (Ow Mun Heng) use? I use heap LFUDA for
> > disk objects and heap GSDF for memory cache. LFUDA gave me 2% better byte
> > radio and GSDF 2% better hit ratio IIRC.
>
> default, which would mean LRU.

heap methods should be faster and more effective.

"They say when you play that M$ CD backward you can hear satanic messages."
"That's nothing. If you play it forward it will install Windows."