Re: [squid-users] How to restrict downloading of big file size

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:32:57 +0100

ons 2006-03-01 klockan 21:17 +0100 skrev Christoph Haas:
> On Wednesday 01 March 2006 21:03, Mark Elsen wrote:
> > > No. Squid can't know in advance how big a file will be.
> >
> > What about looking at Content-Length value ?
>
> As trustworthy as the MIME type that the server sends. ;)

I wouldn't say that. Clients is a bit picky about it if it is sent, and
downloads unreliable when it is not sent so any serious server sends it
and correct.

But it is true there is many servers who don't send a content-length,
and even some who send an incorrect one or even two different ones in
the same response...

> However you forgot to say how Squid can block access depending on the
> Content-Length header. I didn't know Squid can do that. And I assumed it
> was for the reason I mentioned.

It is all explained in squid.conf(.default). So RTFM ;-)