[squid-users] Authentication against NDS {again} + large installation

From: Nikos Zaharioudakis <nzahar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 13:49:11 +0000

Dear all,

I have a case of a customer that has about 1000 users {all stored in
Novell 5.1}.
I am trying to design a squid solution in order to have bandwidth
allocation per user group.
After some thought, there are going to be some 9-12 groups. At this
point I must clear out that no url filtering is in the plans {no
squidguard nothing}. The main reason for the squid is the delay_pools
feature, plus some accounting with sarg.
The customer has a 4 Mbit leased line. Do you have any suggestions
concerning the sizing of the server ? (Memory, CPU etc)

In addition there is another interesting issue. I have implemented
authentication many times in the past against M$ AD with absolutely
excellent results. The transparent authentication is always a handy
thing ;-).
I was wandering if one of you had done the same thing against Novell
Directory Server (NDS).
I know I have two options
a) use the ldap helper (either pure text or encrypted by SSL)
b) use MS Netware services so as to authenticate against M$ AD (piece of cake)

I was thinking if there was a way to use the pam system of the squid
server and find a way to connect to that bloody NDS box.Or is there a
way to replicate the NDS with the Openldap on my machine ? I think
that winbind is the answer to transparent authentication with M$
clients, but I see no obvious-easy way to involve it.

If I fulfill the transparent auth thing would be really nice. Any
comments or ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

--
Zaharioudakis Nikos