[squid-users] Weirdness with cisco l2tp tunnel, transparent proxy, Centos 4.2 squid server

From: Tony Spencer <tony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 16:54:31 -0000

This is a strange one.
We are terminating an L2TP tunnel on our Cisco 7200 running ios
c7200-js-mz.123-13.bin.
The tunnel is using a virtual template which has the proxy route map enabled
on it.

The relevant Cisco config:

access-list 110 deny   tcp host 10.0.0.2 any  # squid server eth0:1
access-list 110 permit tcp any any eq www
access-list 110 deny   ip any any

route-map proxy-redirect permit 10
 match ip address 110
 set ip next-hop 10.0.0.2  # squid server eth0:1

interface Virtual-Template1
 description Tunnel Virtual Template
 ip unnumbered FastEthernet3/0
 ip mroute-cache
 ip policy route-map proxy-redirect
 no logging event link-status
 timeout absolute 4320 0
 peer default ip address pool IP-POOL
 no keepalive
 ppp authentication chap pap callin
 ppp multilink

The Centos box is running IPTables with the following rules for squid:

iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface eth0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128

And it’s a standard squid config.

Some users are able to browse web sites fine.
However a handful of users can’t they get “Web site found” in the IE status
bar and blue progress lines but the site fails.
I can see the request for the site hit the squid access log.

Has anyone got a setup like this and if so am I doing it correctly?

Thanks
Tony