RE: [squid-users] squid cannot resolve non-fqdn names

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:25:17 +0100

mån 2006-03-06 klockan 08:59 -0500 skrev Shoebottom, Bryan:

> Worked! I also read that I should possible compile squid with
> --disable-internal-dns and configuring "dns_defnames on" in squid.conf.
> Would this be faster then using the internal dns resolver?

the internal dns resolver is faster, more efficient and less prone to
stability issues under load than if you disable it..

the OS resolver usually has a little more functionality such as the
search path and proper fallback on TCP on too large DNS responses..

In the past there has also been a few cases where the internal DNS
client hasn't been able to properly parse oddly formatted DNS responses,
but I think all of those is now handled just fine (only the TCP fallback
issue remaining in protocol compliance).