Re: [squid-users] WCCP and NTLM

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 03:28:09 +0100

ons 2006-03-08 klockan 20:39 -0500 skrev Jason Gauthier:
> All,
>
> I've read in many places that transparent proxy and NTLM just don't
> work together. It makes sense. I'm nearly unfamiliar with WCCP, except
> for the basic understandind.
>
> Since it's designed to do this, can NTLM be used with WCCP?

WCCP is just a method of automatic configuration for transparent
interception of port 80, and thus won't work in combination with proxy
authentication just as any other transparent interception method.

Proxy authentication REQUIRES the browser to be aware that it is using a
proxy. Such awareness can be gained by either (or combinations of)

   - Manual configuration of proxy address
   - Manual configuration of proxy autoconfig URL
   - Automatic configuration of proxy autoconfig URL via DNS (WPAD)
   - Automatic configuration of proxy autoconfig URL via DHCP (WPAD,
more flexible than DNS but less reliable / supported)
   - Automatic configuration of any of the above via Windows Domain
policies, automatic login scripts or similar.