[squid-users] Preventing Hotlinking

From: John Neiberger <jneiberger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:20:46 -0700

Please forgive the totally newbie question. I am not a Squid user but
I'm considering dumping the Stratacache cache engines that we
currently use. I need to find out if Squid can prevent hotlinking. On
our webservers, we have configured the following in our Apache
httpd.conf:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
## prevents image hotlinking ##
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !ourwebsite\.com [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.(gif|jpe?g|png|bmp)$ - [F]
</IfModule>

Can we do something similar to that with Squid? Preventing hotlinking
on our webservers won't help us much if the cache server readily
serves up those images to bad referrers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John