Re: [squid-users] URI suffix remove

From: Jose Celestino <japc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:19:40 +0000

Words by Henrik Nordstrom [Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 03:12:24PM +0100]:
> lör 2006-03-11 klockan 11:37 +0000 skrev Jose Celestino:
>
> > > Incorrect. It's used for statistical and kickback reasons.. but doing so
> > > on relatively large shockwave files is plain stupid if you ask me..
> >
> > Not on swf, js, or other client-side processed files. The http server
> > accelerated by squid does no processing whatsoever, no php, no mod_perl.
>
> I didn't say the server did any processing which makes a difference in
> the response. I said it used the information for statistics and kickback
> reasons.

Ok, I see. But not that either. That's what the clicktag does client-side.

But that's just an example. People tend to do things just because they know
they can, for instance I have this on just a few minutes logging:

# grep \? cache.log | grep URI | grep '/css/2004/hp/hp2.css?nocache' | wc -l
1328

Well this file hasn't been changed since Mar 15 2005 so what's the point?

> > Perhaps you didn't understand that these are our sites, squid is acting
> > as an accelerator. So we know with 200% certainty what we want to clean.
> > That's the only scenaria I find this of use.
>
> True.
>
> In accelerator setups Squid is the authorative server, and how it finds
> it's content is a business to you, nobody else.
>
> Redirectors for this purpose does it's job quite well in accelerator
> mode as well.

From what I've read redirectors are somewhat of a slowdown. Haven't used them
myself but the scenario is of an ISP with over 800 req./second sustained
so I'd like something light.

And, from my understanding, redirectors just rewrite the request to the end
server to something else, they have no influence on what is or is not cached
(maybe I got this wrong) and what got me to this is that I have tons of these
requests and having HITs from them would be a major performance boost (that's
why I have squid there in the 1st place).

> But you may want the overlapping request support available
> in squid-3 or as patch to 2.5 (part of the cerberian patch)

If you look at the patch this is what is already done to remove # html
anchors from urls so nothing new.

--
Jose Celestino | http://xpto.org/~japc/files/japc-pgpkey.asc
"You just have to accept that some days you are the pigeon,