Re: [squid-users] disabling use of If-Modified-Since

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:45:31 +0100

fre 2006-03-10 klockan 09:55 +0100 skrev Stefan Palme:

> Because some customers have a strange behaviour with IE (and *only* with
> IE): some images on one of our websites don't appear in their browsers.
> After sniffing the traffic I've discovered, that IE sends a GET-Request
> for these images with an "If-Modified-Since" header. Squid responses
> (correctly) with a 304 (not modified). So IE should use the image from
> its local cache, but it does not - there is no image at all on the
> web page.

Hmm.. have heard of this before. Think the previous person seeing such
symptoms nailed it down to the disk being full on the client computer
making IE a bit confused about what it had in the cache..

> I guess this is a problem with IE's local cache, and I wanted to
> circumvent this by never responsing with 304, but letting squid
> return the image instead...

You would need to edit the code to do this it seems. Should not be very
hard, just look for HDR_IF_MODIFIED_SINCE in client_side.c.