Re: [squid-users] acl for always_direct

From: Dwayne Hottinger <dhottinger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:12:15 -0500

Quoting Mark Elsen <mark.elsen@gmail.com>:

> > Im sorry Mark I dont quite understand. Do I need to add something on each
> > browsers workstation for this?
> >

> Anything that enters SQUID, must be handled by SQUID, well the
> caching part(s) of the http protocol, doesn't have a an ability
> which could be named as in HTTP_REFUSE, (a cache telling to
> the browser, 'do it yourself').
>
> For transparant proxying setups , it could be solved by including
> an exception list on the intercepting device, so for those sites,
> the request is not re-directed to squid.
> But transp. proxying has many drawbacks too.
>
> Anyway, the site can't hold on to the not caching compatible
> argument on the long
> run, on the modern Internet, bluecoat, SQUID ,..., get implemented
> everywhere.
>
> By books then, at the other-thousand sites which do work, with caches and
> thus
> adhere to http standards.
>
> M.

Sounds like this is a problem with the encoding of the website itself and
nothing wrong with my implementation of squid. One time it works, one time it
doesnt. Yes I have squid to be %99.999 trouble free. My proxy server has been
up 289 days before now. I have no problems from all the rest of the internet.
Its the few sites like worldbook online that give me a fit trying to get it
going. Im not going to spend any more time on this. I cant go to each
workstation, dont have the time or manpower. Its a subscription site, user
probably should have checked this out before they wasted the divisions money on
it. I appreciate the advise and insite Mark.

ddh

--
Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator