RE: [squid-users] squid acl dhcp

From: Nick Duda <nduda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:21:32 -0500

We use NTLM Authentication here. The rules that you configure in
squid.conf for the most part will only allow or deny access to
authenticated users. In other words either everyone is allowed or
everyone is denied.

With squidGuard you can build an acl based on the option "userlist".
Userlist points to a local file with a username on each line. You can
then allow/deny based on that list. What I do is using the samba "net
ads/rpc" tools, is run a query against the domain controller for certain
criteria and build a local list of items.

For example, say I want everyone in the company to be denied access to a
certain website, except members of the HR department. I would run a
query against the domain controller for all members in the HR group and
build a local file with these names. I then schedule that as a cronjob
to run every so often to keep this list up to date. Now I can create a
rule that allows only people from HR (located in the local HREmployee
file) access to this website.

There are other cool things you can do with the net ads/rpc stuff. My
squidGuard redirector urls go to a local php script. This script runs
the (exec) command and gives me back results. I've been able to have
squidGuard email offenders dynamically when they hit websites they
shouldn't have.

- Nick