Re: [squid-users] help for newbie

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:09:12 +0100

Corey Tyndall schrieb:

>Setup: Squid-2.5.STABLE6-3.4E.11 on RHEL 3.
>
>Problem: We have several hundred users that will be using this to proxy
>to the internet (no caching just authentication). With lots of users on
>the system the traffic gets pretty bogged down going through the one
>NIC. This server has 4 NICS in it and is there a way to balance the
>traffic over these multiple NIC's? Thanks for help in advance

I agree with Mark; a couple of hundred users accessing the internet via
squid will never saturate the *internal* link.
They might saturate your external link, depending on what link and what
user profile you have. It is almost impossible to saturate any hardware
with such an amount of users; we run several squids in similar setups >
100 users on quite old HW (500 MHz class) on 2 MBit links without
problems. You need enough memory, though.
You should examine your network to check what leads to the "saturation".
It might be a misconfigured DNS resolution on the squid box or many
other things. What happens when you bypass squid, still using the squid
box as gateway? Also, there is no reason not to cache content when using
squid; it will speed up many websites a lot if menu grapghics come from
your disk instead of the other side of the world....

Hope this helps.

nb. It would be helpful if you write more about your setup and if you
leave out the "confidential message" blah when writing to a public
mailing lsit where you seek for help. Most people on these lists are not
very happy having to download all these disclaimers jsut in order to be
able to help you. It's not applicable anyway.....