[squid-users] Re: squid + network interfaces + mrtg

From: Rajendra Adhikari <rajendra@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:43:58 +0545

Thanks Kabindra for your response. I think, I lag behind in explaining
my problem in more details.
I am not concerned with creating just a mrtg graph for traffic on
interfaces but rather more specific trarric through interfaces. I think
mrtg creates a graph on the basis of snmp polls. I am looking for
something like traffic analyzer that it sniffs the types of traffic on
the interfaces and graphs for each IP addressses. However, I did not
find any open source software that listens on several interfaces at a
time and graph on the basis of different subnet.

As I am concerned with measuring only http traffic (or others through
proxy), I guess I could achieve this by analyzing the squid log files
(access.log).

My Scenario:
-----------------
Six NIC card on a "*transparent proxy*" server and internet gateway
firewall.. 5 NIC card to the LAN side on five different netwoks (
192.168.0.0/24, 192.168.1.0/24 ....192.168.5.0/24). The 1 NIC card to
the WAN side (public IP).
All the hosts connect to the internet through this transparent proxy. I
would like to graph internet usage on each LAN. I could not do mrtg as
it polls the interface and graph accumulating all kinds of traffic, even
the one those communicating between LANs. I just need the traffic from
each LAN card to the WAN card. I could have done simple arithmetic in
the mrtg target, however its not possible in my case ( believe me, I
can't ! I can explain why in more details ).

If you can suggest how can I sniff (tools/software) the packets on
several interfaces at a time then my problem would be solved.
I think it could also be done analyzing the squid log files. Please
comment/suggest.

regds.
Rajendra