RE: [squid-users] CPU gradually increasing

From: Andre Labuschagne <alabuschagne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:54:27 +0200

> > Out squid proxy is running on a 3.6GHz Intel with HT
> enabled. There is
> > 2GB of RAM and 36GB diskspace, and I allocated 20GB
> diskspace to the
> > cache. We have around 750 users utilising the cache at the
> moment and
> > it's running on a Suse10 box and uses Websense as a redirector.
> >
> > Initially the average cpu usage 5 min and 60 min was around
> 6-8% but
> > recently I see that it has increased to around 60-70%. The first
> > couple of figures were taken while the cache was below
> 500MB, and the
> > cache now sits at about 6GB. Does this mean that a larger
> cache file
> > also means an increase in the CPU usage and will I need to
> reduce my
> > cache file to around 9GB to reach a point where the
> processor is 95% utilised?
> >
> > The timespan involved in the two measurements is only about
> two weeks
> > and I cannot think of any other changes to the usage that
> could have
> > had an impact on how the box is used in that time period.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> - Squid version ?
>
> M.

Sorry,
squid -v

Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE10
configure options: '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc/squid'
'--bindir=/usr/sbin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--localstatedir=/var'
'--libexecdir=/usr/sbin' '--datadir=/usr/share/squid' '--with-dl'
'--enable-snmp' '--enable-carp' '--enable-useragent-log'
'--enable-auth=basic digest ntlm' '--enable-basic-auth-helpers=LDAP MSNT
NCSA PAM SMB YP getpwnam multi-domain-NTLM'
'--enable-ntlm-auth-helpers=SMB no_check'
'--enable-digest-auth-helpers=password'
'--enable-external-acl-helpers=ip_user ldap_group unix_group
wbinfo_group' '--enable-ntlm-fail-open' '--enable-referer-log'
'--enable-arp-acl' '--enable-htcp' '--enable-underscores'
'--enable-stacktraces' '--enable-delay-pools' '--enable-ssl'
'--enable-cache-digests' '--enable-storeio=aufs,ufs,diskd,null'
'--enable-linux-netfilter' '--enable-removal-policies=heap,lru'
'--with-samba-sources=/usr/include/samba' '--enable-x-accelerator-vary'
'CFLAGS=-O2 -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -fPIE'
'LDFLAGS=-pie'

Legal disclaimer:
The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the author and not those of the FirstRand Banking Group (Reg. No. 1929/001225/06) or its management. The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and data transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.

RMB Private Bank, a division of FirstRand Bank Limited, is an Authorised Financial Services Provider.