[squid-users] Is Squid Resilient?

From: Neil Mc Lysaght <neil.mclysaght@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:30:11 +0000

Hi all,

Slight Problem here..

I have installed and configured squid hoping that it would provide a
level of resillience in the event a destination server 'goes down'.

Currently I have 2 squid proxies running each configured to recognise
the other as a peer sibling.
Each of the quid proxies is configured to use the same destination
host configured as httpd_accel host port etc
The Content being serverd by the destintation server sends a
max-age/expires header in its response.
The squid servers cache the content correctly and request the content
DIRECTly when the Content Expires.
My problem is that I would like the Squid proxy to continue to serve
content even if the destination server is not available.
Is this possible.

I have checked the access.log and I can confirm that a TCP_REFRESH_HIT
- DIRECT appears normally when the content has expired.
but If the destiantion is not available, everything hangs and
eventually times out.

Thanks