Re: [squid-users] Problem with redirecting to another with subdirectories not ending with /

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:42:56 +0100

tis 2006-03-21 klockan 14:10 +0200 skrev Sakari Lehtonen:

> The problem is, when for some reason URL like this is passed to the
> external service with the terminating slash missing:
>
> http://squidhost/service/somedirectory

What happens then is that the real web server sends a browser redirect
to what it thinks is the correct URL with the / added..

This is a very common problem in reverse proxies built using
redirectors, and is one of many reasons why I recommend straight
mappings as far as possible where the URL to the reverse proxy is
forwarded as-is to the real web server with no rewrites.

Drawback is that a straight mapping places some requirements on the web
server. Mainly that it needs to run on port 80 and needs to understand
the externally visible hostname as it's own. Also if you split the URL
space of a virtual published server among several servers having
different content then it's important each server has it's content in a
unique directory, and the reverse proxy routes the requests to the
correct server based on the requested directory.