Re: [squid-users] Squid - Http authentication prompts on websites

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:45:24 +0000

Hi,

Maarten Claes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My squid proxy doesn't seem to get a login prompt from a webiste:
> http://www.europanelsoverseas.be/webalizer/ (IIS webserver)
>
> When I did a packet capture on the machine, I saw that, in response to
> the proxy's GET /webalizer HTTP/1.0, the webserver responded
> immediately with 401 HTTP code.
>
> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here or what might cause this behaviour?

Yes - the web server is using NTLM authentication. It is fundamentally
broken and does not work through proxies (unless they specifically work
around its brokenness - Squid does not).

Switch it (or tell the admin to) basic or digest auth. If using basic
auth you may want to use SSL so that the credentials aren't sent in the
clear.

HTH,

                                Neil.

--