Re: [squid-users] how to take advantage of multiple CPU's?

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:50:11 -0900

lawrence wang wrote:

>On 3/21/06, Chris Robertson <crobertson@gci.net> wrote:
>

>>lawrence wang wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a way to have Squid 2.5STABLE12 take advantage of multiple
>>>CPU's? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
>>>

>>Run multiple instances...
>>
>>http://squidwiki.kinkie.it/MultipleInstances
>>
>>Determining why your Squid is CPU limited (assuming that is the reason
>>for this question) is quite often a better course of action.
>>
>>Chris
>>

>it seems like Squid can't help but be CPU limited when it's serving
>very small objects (<1KB) from memory, which is my situation.

If on linux, and running a 2.6 kernel, you might look into the epoll
patch. It's unsupported "run-at-your-own-risk", but it makes a great
difference when a large number of inodes are in use. Anecdotal
"evidence" shows it stable for a number of people (myself included).
Since you have a multi CPU machine, you can use the "run multiple
instances of Squid" instructions to run an epoll-enhanced version
side-by-side with the stable-but-CPU-intensive version and see if it (a)
helps and (b) is stable for you..

The message at
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200602/0609.html
contains an example step-by-step listing of the process to employ the patch.

Chris.