Re: [squid-users] squid wont let wget traffic thru

From: Bill Jacqmein <wrjacqmein@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:01:34 -0500

The client setting sound normal.

Forbidden is normally and acl or lack of an acl for access.
Maybe based on something similar to the following
http://gaugusch.at/squid.shtml would be my guess.

pick an IE string or Mozilla string depending on which browser was
working for you from
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/browser_ids.htm#msie

<snip from http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html>
-U agent-string
--user-agent=agent-string
    Identify as agent-string to the http server.

    The http protocol allows the clients to identify themselves using
a User-Agent header field. This enables distinguishing the www
software, usually for statistical purposes or for tracing of protocol
violations. Wget normally identifies as Wget/version, version being
the current version number of Wget.

    However, some sites have been known to impose the policy of
tailoring the output according to the User-Agent-supplied information.
While this is not such a bad idea in theory, it has been abused by
servers denying information to clients other than (historically)
Netscape or, more frequently, Microsoft Internet Explorer. This option
allows you to change the User-Agent line issued by Wget. Use of this
option is discouraged, unless you really know what you are doing.

    Specifying empty user agent with --user-agent="" instructs Wget
not to send the User-Agent header in http requests.

</snip http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html>